History of  Perambalur District

                         

In 1741, the Marathas invaded Tiruchirappalli and took Chanda Saheb as captive.  Chanda Saheb succeeded in securing freedom in 1748 and soon got involved in the famous war for the Nawabs place in the Carnatic against Anwardeen , the Nawab of Arcot and his son Mohammed Ali.

          Mohamed Ali annexed the two palayams of Ariyalur and Udayarpalayam located within the present Ariyalur District on the grounds of default in payment of Tributes and failure to assist him in quelling the rebellion of Yusuf Khan.  In November 1764, Mohamed Ali represented the issue to Madras Council and obtained military assistance on 3rd January 1765.  The forces led by Umdat-Ul-Umara and Donald Campbell entered Ariyalur and captured it.  The young Poligar together with his followers, there upon fled to Udayarpalayam.  On the 19th of January, the army marched upon Udayarpalayam.  The Poligar's troops were defeated and the palayams were occupied.  The two poligars fled their town and took refuge in Tharangampadi, then a Danish Settlement. The annexation of the palayam gave the Navab un-interrupted possession of all his territories extending Arcot to Tiruchirappalli.

        The history followed was a power struggle between Hyder Ali and later Thippu Sultan with the British.   After the death of Thippu Sultan, the British took the civil and military Administration of the Carnatic in 1801.  Thus Tiruchirappalli came in to the hands of the English and the District was formed in  1801.   In 1995 Tiruchirappalli was trifurcated and the new Perambalur  and Karur districts were formed.  

        Composite Perambalur District came in to existence after trifurcation of Tiruchirappalli district with effect from 30.09.1995 as per G.O MS.No 913  Revenue / Y3  dated 30.09.1995. In the Government Orders  G.O (Ms)No. 656, Revenue, Dated. 29.12.2000 and   G.O (Ms)No. 657, Revenue, Dated.  29.12.2000 , the  Government ordered Perambalur District to be bifurcated into two Districts , Perambalur District with headquarters at Perambalur and  Ariyalur District with headquarters at Ariyalur. Subsequently, in the Government orders G.O (Ms)No. 167, Revenue, Dated. 19.4.2002, and    G.O (Ms)No. 168, Revenue, Dated. 19.4.2002 , Government   ordered that the above two districts  be  merged into one as Perambalur District with headquarters at Perambalur.

        In the Government Order G.O (Ms) NO.  683    Dated. 19.11.2007   Government   passed  orders that Perambalur District be reorganised and bifurcated again into two districts Perambalur and Ariyalur, out of which Perambalur district with Headquarters  at Perambalur consists of one Revenue Division of Perambalur and three Taluks of Perambalur, Kunnam and Veppanthattai. It is bounded on the North by Cuddalore and Salem Districts, South by Tiruchirappalli, East by Ariyalur District, West by  Tiruchirappalli and Salem Districts.